Introduction to Tableau
Before we begin...
Do you have the most recent version of Tableau Public installed? Did you download it TODAY???? We just updated and the new spatial features are more than worth it. Click to download
Download Neighborhood House Price Data
Download Neighborhood Boundaries (Zillow)
Tableau is a data visualization program.
Example: Tableau Public
Interacting with Tableau
- Download workbook from Tableau Public
- Open Workbook in Tableau Public
- Pause for defintions:
- Marks Card: Chart type
- Show Me
- Shelfs: Rows, Columns, Color, Size
The Price by ZipCode sheet is not very good currently. Can you make it better?
- Filter Formating
- Pages Shelf
- Basic Dashboard creation
- Dashboard Filter
- Filter controls
Add filters and dashboard actions to the Price Distibution dash to find the price distribution of 1-3 bedroom, 1-2 bathroom in south side of Seattle
- Dashboard actions Dialog
- The Cost per sqft Dash tries to show how the cost per sqft changes depending on zip code. However, whenever it filters the data below, it is very jolting. Use the Dashboard > Actions menu to create a highlight action instead of a filter action.
- Analysis > Create Calculated Field
- It would be much better if the zip codes were colored by average cost per sq ft, to make a more unified message. Create a calculated field to compute price per sqft, and color the map using that instead. Advanced: Also create a new sheet that displays the price per sqft, and create a filter action from the Map to the new sheet so that it displays the correct value for a selected zipcode.
Part 2: Mapping Specifically
Geographic Field Types
- Automatically Recognized Fields: City, County, State
- Not Recognized: Metro
- Edit Locations, 'Ambiguous'
- Geographic Hierarchies (Geometry Field)
- Create a State > Country > City hierarchy on the Zillow data.
- Create a map of their Geometries, and filter down to just Seattle Neighborhoods
- Add Size Rank to the color shelf... Why is it all just one color?
- Custom Territories
OPTION 1: Data Prep
- Neighborhood Zillow Data
- Click Neighborhood
- The dataset is NeighborhoodZriAllHomes.csv
- Neighborhood Boundaries
- Click Washington Neighborhood Boundaries
Bring in the data
- Drag and Drop... Woo
- Joins: Inner, Outer, Left, Right
OPTION 2: Background Map Formatting
Built In Options
http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/maps_options.html * Map Styles * Data Layers * Demographic Layers * Super Advanced: Background Yellow http://www.tableaufit.com/maps/
- A WMS that just works: http://ows.terrestris.de/osm/service?
- A WMS that needs a fancy file: http://allanwalkerit.tumblr.com/post/112518842182/alternative-basemaps-for-tableau
- Also mapbox.
OPTION 3: IFTTT
Create the sheet
- Download IFTTT to your phone
- Sign up with a google account (allowing us to connect to google drive)
- Search 'track your current location in a spreadsheet'
- Select 'Turn on'
- Follow the directions here to add the IFTTT widget to your Today View https://ifttt.com/help/applets-with-widgets
- Push the button!
- Verify in Google Sheets that a sheet titled 'location' has been created.
Tableau is fun and easy, and as long as you are OK not connecting to databases and saving everything to the cloud it is free.