Intro to GIS
Welcome to Maptime Seattle!
Maptime is a community dedicated to teaching and learning all things geospatial. Maptime offers local mappers the opportunity to learn cutting-edge geospatial technologies.
Maptime’s mission is :
"to open the doors of cartographic possibility to anyone interested by creating a time and space for collaborative learning, exploration, and map creation using mapping tools and technologies."
This week we will dive into the basics of GIS. Checkout the slide deck here.
You can find the data needed for this workshop here.
Together we will:
- Open QGIS. I recommend the latest (eg for new users) 64-bit version for your operating system.
- Load data related to the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse.
- Learn how to find projections, change layer styles, and layer control operations.
- Install the OpenLayers plugin to get access to awesome basemaps.
- Reproject data to get it ready for processing.
- Identify cities in the eclipse’s path of totality using the clip tool.
There are some great QGIS tutorials here. Take your pick!
Thanks! Until next time!
Hope that was helpful! Please fill out our survey when you are done even if you couldn’t attend the meeting. We want to make sure the MaptimeSEA tutorials are teaching what you want to learn. bit.ly/maptimesea_survey